MCFARLANE TO PRODUCE 'HALO 3' ACTION FIGURES
Five Action Figures and Three Vehicles Arrive in Stores Spring 2008
June 18, 2007
Copyright 2015 TMP International, Inc.
Two powerhouses of pop culture are collaborating, as McFarlane Toys announces a licensing agreement with Microsoft to produce action figures based on the hit video game series Halo®. Halo 3 is scheduled to arrive in stores later this year.
Halo follows the events of an inter-galactic war between the last surviving members of the human race and an advanced collection of alien races known as The Covenant. The first title in the series, Halo: Combat Evolved, was the flagship title for Microsoft's Xbox video game console when it was released in 2001. The game achieved both critical acclaim and financial success, selling more than 6 million copies worldwide.
"Halo is one of the top video game franchises of all time," says McFarlane Toys CEO, Todd McFarlane. "We get to put our company's touch on a sci-fi epic that is visually and thematically stunning. Through its game-play, Halo has been able to attract a very large and loyal audience, most of whom happen to be our customers as well, which makes this an excellent partnership."
The proposed action figure lineup is as follows:
There will also be a three-vehicle line-up that includes:
- MASTER CHIEF -- The protagonist of the Halo series stands at 5 inches tall, and has more than 18 points of articulation. Equipped with his trademark assault rifle, Master Chief's mission is to protect Earth against the Covenant, an alien empire threatening the world in the 26th century. Biological and cybernetic enhancements and rigorous military training have resulted in Master Chief's unquestioned status as the finest soldier mankind has ever produced.
- BRUTE CHIEFTAIN -- The highest rank in the Brute hierarchy is the Chieftain, whose articulated figure is the tallest of the series at 6 inches. Belonging to the Covenant, the Brute Chieftain carries the gravity hammer, a close-range weapon with the ability to alter gravity at a local level and crush his enemies and surroundings.
- CORTANA -- Developed by the United Nations Space Command (UNSC), Cortana is a smart A.I. with the ability to project herself as a holographic image and be transferred between computer systems, including the cybernetic armor of Master Chief. This figure's base features an LED light that illuminates her 4.5 inch-tall figure.
- JACKAL SNIPER -- To the benefit of the Covenant, Jackal Snipers have incredibly sharp reflexes and deadly aim. Standing at 5 inches, the Jackal Sniper is equipped with its signature beam rifle, which has the ability for long range shooting and a high degree of damage.
- GRUNT -- At 4.5 inches tall, the Grunt is a menace to the human race, and represents the vast majority of the Covenant infantry. The Grunts are the lowest tier of the Covenant hierarchy, and move in packs. They are expected to unquestioningly obey the commands of their Brute commanders. Outfitted with weapons including the Plasma Pistol and Needler, the Grunts may not seem much more than cannon fodder, but in groups, they can be deadly.
The figures are expected to hit store shelves Spring 2008.
- WARTHOG -- As the most widely recognized vehicle of the UNSC, the Warthog is a ground vehicle capable of carrying up to three soldiers. Known as the best all-around vehicle for its power, adaptability and toughness, the Warthog measures 3 inches in length and is built of plastic.
- GHOST -- The Ghost is a single-seat, anti-gravity vehicle used by the Covenant. Mounted with twin plasma cannons, the Ghost is a rapid-attack vehicle designed for speed and maneuverability. The Ghost is 3 inches long and made with plastic.
- BRUTE CHOPPER -- The Brute Chopper makes its debut in Halo 3. A single-wheeled vehicle, the Brute Chopper will prove invaluable to the Covenant's campaign against humanity. With a length of 3 inches, the Brute Chopper will be made of and plastic.
Halo 2 was released in 2004, breaking sales records (more than 7 million copies worldwide) and becoming the fastest-selling media product in US history.
Halo 3, in development for the Xbox 360, is scheduled for release on September 25, 2007.
>> HALO 3: MASTER CHIEF FIGURE PROTOTYPE PHOTO
© Microsoft Corporation. Microsoft, Bungie, the Bungie logo, Halo, the Halo logo, the Microsoft Game Studios logo, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox LIVE, and the Xbox logos are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies.